Install Portainer with Docker on Linux
Portainer consists of two elements, the Portainer Server, and the Portainer Agent. Both elements run as lightweight Docker containers on a Docker engine. This document will help you install the Portainer Server container on your Linux environment. To add a new Linux environment to an existing Portainer Server installation, please refer to the Portainer Agent installation instructions.
To get started, you will need:
- The latest version of Docker installed and working
- sudo access on the machine that will host your Portainer Server instance
- By default, Portainer Server will expose the UI over port
9443and expose a TCP tunnel server over port
8000. The latter is optional and is only required if you plan to use the Edge compute features with Edge agents.
- A license key for Portainer Business Edition.
The installation instructions also make the following assumptions about your environment:
- You are accessing Docker via Unix sockets. Alternatively, you can also connect via TCP.
- SELinux is disabled on the machine running Docker. If you require SELinux, you will need to pass the
--privilegedflag to Docker when deploying Portainer.
- Docker is running as root. Portainer with rootless Docker has some limitations, and requires additional configuration.
First, create the volume that Portainer Server will use to store its database:
docker volume create portainer_data
Then, download and install the Portainer Server container:
docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ee:latest
docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:latest
Portainer Server has now been installed. You can check to see whether the Portainer Server container has started by running
[email protected]:~# docker ps
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
de5b28eb2fa9 portainer/portainer-ee:latest "/portainer" 2 weeks ago Up 9 days 0.0.0.0:8000->8000/tcp, :::8000->8000/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9443->9443/tcp, :::9443->9443/tcp portainer
Now that the installation is complete, you can log into your Portainer Server instance by opening a web browser and going to:
localhostwith the relevant IP address or FQDN if needed, and adjust the port if you changed it earlier.
You will be presented with the initial setup page for Portainer Server.